Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Buckwheat Whacker

After the test harvest of my buckwheat, I had every intention of getting back relatively quickly to finish the job.

Yeah. Right. Didn't happen.

Fortunately, the weather cooperated, the Farmgirl Wannabe was patient, and we finally got together after work today to take care of the rest of that patch.


Even a sharp scythe might not have done much good by today as so many of the stalks were bent flat to the ground. So the Farmgirl gathered up bunches of stalks, pulled them easily from the ground, and held them tight so that I could whack through them cleanly with hedge trimmers.

OK, not a very sophisticated method, I agree, but it did make the job go a little more quickly. (Just a little.)

The Farmgirl had also pondered the possible methods for stripping the grains from the stems, and she hauled out a couple of large flat cardboard trays and a length of flexible screening that she used to chafe the grains off the stems.


It took us over two hours to cut and strip the buckwheat, but we did it. Now I still need to spread the grains out to finish drying and then winnow them before storage, but that's considerably easier than tonight's mission.

Perhaps this coming weekend I can hull and mill some of the grains into flour.

I can almost taste the pancakes now...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 9/08/2009 12:33 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Cool! I'm still contemplating a really functional mid-size grain harvesting operation. I talked to a native plant grower at the market this weekend, and he has a fan mill I can borrow for the winnowing. You might look into that - native plant growers are cleaning seeds, after all, just like you are - or look up "seed cleaners" in your area. Before Monsanto puts them all out of business...

 
At 9/08/2009 1:01 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Very true, Emily, I should look into that. Though I do enjoy the leisurely pace of winnowing seeds from bowl to bowl on a somewhat windy day... :-)

 
At 9/08/2009 2:09 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Wow, Jennifer. You are *amazing*! Hope it's worth all the effort.

 
At 9/08/2009 2:12 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, it WILL be, Janet! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home