Saturday, August 08, 2009

Zuke Out!

In honor of Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day today, someone ended up with a serious load of fresh zucchini.

But it's not what you think.

See, this time around, I was the one facing down a load of zucchini -- and it wasn't sneaked onto my porch, I requested it. (Oh, what was I thinking?)


The Absent-Minded Professor brought me some fresh zucchini from our garden, at my request, so that I could send a jar of zucchini relish home with him to share with the Southern Belle's mother.

Trouble is, I didn't expect quite that much zucchini! Those babies ranged from 10" to 16", so they're not going to be used up easily.

So I guess I'll be drying more zucchini, making more zucchini bread, frying up more zucchini fritters, and maybe even pulling out the Chef Mother's zucchini surprise recipe so that I can do something with all this zucchini before I get sick of the very word zucchini. (Oops, too late.)

And I hate to say it, Dear Readers, but if I know any of your addresses, you may well end up with zucchini on your porch, too.

So look out!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 8/10/2009 7:27 AM, Blogger Sara said...

We have had a huge bumper crop of zucchini this year, too. I've been trying to find new ways to use it. One of our favorite dishes so far has been zucchini parmesan. Just sliced the zukes up, sauteed them in a little olive oil with some onion and garlic, spread it out in a casserole dish, opened up a jar of home-canned pasta tomato sauce to pour over top, and topped with some mozzarella cheese. Soooo good! Just another idea for you! :)

 
At 8/10/2009 7:38 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks for the tip, Sara! I can definitely do that with this load of zucchini... I'm getting hungry already!

 
At 8/11/2009 7:25 PM, Blogger Tina said...

The NYTimes has a bunch of good, creative, vegetarian zucchini/summer squash recipes here: http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/summer_squash/index.html

 
At 8/12/2009 10:51 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks for the tip, Tina... and it's good to see you back around here! :-)

 
At 8/13/2009 10:11 PM, Blogger Tina said...

Thanks, it's good to be back!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home