Thursday, August 27, 2009

Who's the Sauce?

So there I was, at my CSA farm, thinking I'd better get busy and can some tomatoes pretty soon. I bought a peck and felt rather pleased with myself.

And then I said to myself, "Self, just when do you think you're going to have time to can tomatoes this week?"

Hmmm, good point. The calendar contained a steering committee meeting for last night, a public meeting on Monday, and a trip to the Farm in between. And in what free time there might be between those events, I needed to cook, do the laundry, work on Local Roots marketing, and all sorts of usual things that end up taking more time than I think they will.

Sigh. Heavy sigh.

Happily, the Chef Mother, upon hearing my plans to make pizza sauce, generously offered to take the peck of tomatoes and process them down to raw sauce for me while I headed to work today. She even chopped an onion for the pizza sauce recipe.

So by the time I had picked up groceries after work today and settled in for a few minutes at home, My Wonderful Parents brought by a slow cooker full of sauce, an extra container of sauce, and a bag of onion. All I had to do was chop the pepper, puree some of the ingredients, and mix it all up to cook.


My original plan had been to turn on the slow cookers (yes, two, as I had to draft mine into service) in the morning and let the sauce simmer on low all day while I was at work. But I had thrown the ingredients together quickly enough that I thought cooking the sauce on high in the cookers this evening would allow me to finish the whole process before bed.

So I did. The sauce bubbled away, humming to itself (as the fair Titania would say), while I pulled together my notes for Monday's meeting, wrote a couple notes, worked on a stitching project, and generally felt the pieces of my world settle back into some semblance of order.


And though it meant staying up past my usual bedtime, I got 11 pints of pizza sauce canned by night's end. What a relief to have that done for winter already!

So thanks, Chef Mother and My Dear Papa, for your help in making this project go so quickly! (I know you're reading this, so thank you thank you thank you!)

And maybe next week I'll be ready to handle some plain sauce -- on my own.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9/03/2009 4:47 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Ooh! Recipe, please? We probably eat more pizza sauce than any other form of tomato. Oh, except salsa...

 
At 9/04/2009 7:01 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Hey, Emily! The recipe for the pizza sauce is at the pizza sauce link in the post -- part of last year's "Preserving the Seasons" series. :-) If you have a food mill, prep the tomatoes that way -- less liquid, so thicker sauce. And this time I added the tomato paste earlier, which also helped.

 
At 9/04/2009 4:19 PM, Blogger Tina said...

I may have to try that pizza sauce, sounds yummy! Guess what I brought back from my trip to the folks' place last weekend? My mom's canner, which she hasn't used in decades! Oh yes, there will be canning in my future...:-)

 
At 9/08/2009 7:09 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Good to hear, Tina! You'll have fun with that... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home