Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? 2009 Week 12

Not only are we truly entering tomato season, but we're also finally enjoying the heart of the harvest season, when the variety of produce available broadens significantly and the range of colors on our seasonal plates presents a feast for our eyes as well as our palates.

And nowhere has that been more obvious than in today's CSA pickup:


The Lady Bountiful -- and her hard-working children -- had picked a rainbow of vegetables for this week's share:

--three leeks (split)
--two sweet onions (split)
--two bulbs of garlic (for my folks)
--one quart of Red Pontiac potatoes (for my folks)
--two pounds of mix and match zucchini and summer squash (for my folks)
--one pint tomatillos (for me)
--one pound cucumbers (split)
--one bunch carrots (split)
--one and a half pounds green beans (mine)
--one bag lettuce (mine)
--four pounds big beef or heirloom tomatoes (mostly for my folks)
--one pint cherry tomatoes (mine)
--two pounds mix and match peppers (split; I picked one poblano, one Hungarian wax, and a few purple cayenne to dry)

The Lady also graciously allowed me to pick a bunch of her colorful and delicious chard. She noted that people have actually been turning down the chard in their weekly pickups -- and while I sort of understand, not having been a fan of it until a couple years ago, now I can't understand why someone would turn down something so nutritious, versatile, and mellow!

Now that I have this week's CSA produce at home, I can see I'm going to have to get back into my cooking and preserving mode -- this is just the start of the most bountiful part of the Lady Bountiful's aptly-named harvest!

So stay tuned for more good vegetables...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home