Saturday, August 15, 2009

Market Report: 8/15/09

We're really hitting the peak of the farmers' market season now. Everyone seems to have an incredible variety of produce, and the colors dazzle the eyes from booth to booth. Wow!

Is it any wonder, then, that it took me nearly two hours to make the rounds, talk to everyone, and buy a load of good food?


Right from the start, I loaded my bags with such delights:

--sweet corn, crinkled cabbage, curly kale, eggplant, okra, and a cucumber from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--ground cherries, mixed carrots, and parsley from the Cheerful Lady's son
--Reliance grapes from the local orchard
--golden beets and red peppers for roasting from the Spelt Baker
--a pint of honey from the Bee Man
--a small bag of Ruby Red popcorn from the Corn Queen
--a pint of elderberries from a new farmer
--more elderberries and a box of salad mix from the Cauliflower Queen
--brussels sprouts from Sustainability Man, a member of the Local Roots steering committee
--double chocolate cookies from the Gluten-Free Baker
--chocolate "irresistibles" from the German Baker

Once I'd filled my bags (and emptied my wallet), guzzled a refreshing iced tea, and fortified myself with a couple of "irresistibles," I headed back home, arriving all hot and sweaty and exhausted but thoroughly pleased with my morning's work.

I doubt I'll get started on much of this today as I'll be spending some time with family, but I know I'll be working through it the rest of the this weekend.

Sounds like fun to me!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home