Saturday, August 01, 2009

Market Report: 8/1/09

It felt like autumn this morning, with a cool fog hanging over the town as I headed out for the farmers' market. Still, with the sun peeking through, I had no doubt that by noon the haze would be burned off and we'd have a beautiful day.

In the meantime, I had some shopping to do.

I was caught up with food preservation for the time being and no real plans for the week's meals (aside from wanting to make fattoush again), so I was willing to let what I saw at the farmers' market dictate my plans for the weekend.

And really, you can't go wrong if you listen to such beautiful seasonal produce!


I brought home a full pack and a full tote with loads of lovely food:

--cauliflower, kale, Roma beans from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--cucumbers, spinach, basil, and rosemary from the Cheerful Lady
--shallots and purple potatoes from the Sheep Lady
--carrots from the Spelt Baker
--green beans from another farmer
--two small zucchini (and a lot of good chatting) from the Lady Bountiful
--kale and broccoli from the Young Farmers
--Roma tomatoes from some new folks
--dried shiitake and oyster mushrooms from the Mushroom Farm

What you don't see here are the baked goods I picked up, too:

--a Concord grape pie and a granola bar from the Herb Lady
--maple walnut cookies and cinnamon rolls from the Mennonite Baker

I was tempted by those delicious gluten-free gingersnaps again, too, but I decided I was running out of room in my bags, so I'll have to wait until next week.

There still weren't a whole lot of truly ripe tomatoes on offer at the market, a sure sign that the weather is still a little too cool to keep us on track. Soon, though, I think we'll see some progress.

And in the meantime -- such good food!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/03/2009 9:25 AM, Anonymous Jasmine said...

have you heard about the tomato/potato blight in New England? Do you think that will make it to your area?

 
At 8/03/2009 9:36 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yikes! No, I haven't, Jasmine, but I confess I was thinking about the Irish potato blight Saturday morning with the fog. I should look into this and see what's going on. I don't think we've gotten nearly as much rain this year as New England has, though, if that is a major factor in the blight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home