Friday, August 21, 2009

Independence Days #15

I can tell it's almost time to overwhelm myself in tomatoes. How? I'm already overwhelmed by nearly everything else!

But before I run off (to celebrate my birthday!), here's this week's update:

1. Plant something: Nothing. (Again.)

2. Harvest something: zucchini, carrots, green onions, golden chard, pac choi from the Southern Belle's garden; Black Cherry tomatoes from the Renaissance Man's garden.


3. Preserve something: Dried red cabbage, cucumber slices, Reliance grapes, ground cherries, grape tomatoes, kale; froze green beans, roasted red peppers; strained and bottled herbal oils (rosemary, thyme) and herbal tinctures (basil, lavender, rose hip); canned 3 1/2 pts corn-zucchini salsa (above); started elderberry cordial.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Not doing so good here -- all the produce is coming in fast, and I'm not using it as quickly as I ought. Thank heaven for compost!

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Winnowed the first batch of buckwheat grains; harvested, dried, put away seeds (Blue Coco pole beans, zucchini).

6. Build local food systems: Shared corn, elderberries, and spinach seed with My Wonderful Parents; enjoyed grape tomatoes from My Fabulous Aunt's garden; talked to other folks about Local Roots; wrote up another Local Roots piece for the local paper; contacted two professors about student participation in Local Roots.

7. Eat the food: Salad; Szechuan green beans; roasted brussels sprouts; fresh tomatoes, dressed with balsamic vinegar; roasted potatoes.

Not bad, for feeling like I didn't have much time this week. There's more produce waiting for me, of course, but I've done what I can so far.

Next week, the school year begins again, so I'm not quite sure how my schedule will shake down, but I'll keep picking away at my list.

Somehow...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home