Sunday, August 09, 2009

I Want To Be a Gazpacho (Wo)Man

Oh, the joy of tomato season!

After weeks of cool weather and incredibly slow tomato growth, we've finally had some warm weather (a real scorcher today, really) that has nudged those lovely tomatoes into the red zone of ripeness.


I've enjoyed a few small early tomatoes adorning my recent forays in fattoush territory (oh, yum), but there haven't been enough to consider preserving them or cooking with them in quantity. Now, though, I'm ready to explore the possibilities.

And since cucumbers are well into their season, too, it's time to pull out my favorite gazpacho recipe.

So I pulled out some deeply ripened tomatoes, a couple of juicy cucumbers, a purple sweet pepper, a curling garlic scape, and chopped them all roughly before dumping them into the mini food processor and whirling them around with the rest of the ingredients.


It's a remarkably easy dish to throw together for such a wonderful result. I could just pour it into a quart jar, close it up, and tuck it into the refrigerator for my lunches this week. With a few herbed croutons from the local bakery on top, it will make a delicious, refreshing break in my work day.

I feel my strength returning just thinking about it...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/13/2009 1:55 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

I got out my go-to "gestapo" (inside joke) recipe from Barefoot Contessa last week. So good! I added a dash of honey to help mellow the red onion flavor just a tad – even my hubby liked it!

 
At 8/13/2009 2:06 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oooh, that sounds good! A red onion might have been a nice addition, but I didn't want to chop into a big one for a small batch.

I wonder -- roasting would mellow the red onion, too, so what about a roasted gazpacho? Hmmmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home