Saturday, July 25, 2009

Straighten Up and Fry Light

It's official. Summer truly is here.

Yeah, yeah, the solstice was a month ago. I know that. But the temperatures have been so much cooler than normal that it hasn't always felt very summery.

My seasons are apparently now determined not by the calendar, but by the fresh produce.

And today, I had my first okra.


I do have other recipes for cooking okra, and I mean to try at least one this year. Really. But for the first okra of the season, there's no question: it's gotta be fried.

The beauty of frying in this cast iron skillet is that I don't really need that much oil. And while I first fell in love with fried okra when I was exposed the deep-fried version, I much prefer this.


Once I cooked the okra, I thought I'd go all the way back to my temporary Southern roots and fry up some green tomatoes, too. My, my.

About all I needed to make the meal perfect was a glass of ice-cold sweet tea, but I didn't have any of that.

Still, on a busy summer day, this is as good as it gets.

And that's all right!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home