Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? 2009 Week 6

There's construction going on all over the place these days. I can hardly cross the street for my morning break at work without dodging a torn-up section of sidewalk or street, and several other streets in town are ragged, dusty ghosts of themselves.

Even heading to our CSA farm today, we had to stop for a while before we could continue through a one-lane section of the road. It's just that time of year.

It's a good thing, though, that good CSA food is worth any obstacle!


Today's offerings included:

--two Walla Walla onions (split)
--one bag mixed lettuce (mine)
--one pint summer squash (split)
--one bunch carrots (mine)
--one bunch cilantro (mine)
--one and a half pounds zucchini (yellow and green; split)
--one bunch kale (mine)
--one bunch broccoli (for my folks)
--one pint sugar snap peas (also for my folks)
--two fresh garlic bulbs (mine)
--and my usual half-dozen eggs

The summer produce is definitely starting to come in! And while it looks like I got the larger share of the produce -- I did -- I think I may save some to share at the Farm on an upcoming visit.

I also wandered around the raised beds and picked some of the shepherd's purse (a wild edible) I had noticed growing in one of the beds. The Lady Bountiful joined me in my browse, and when she pointed out the bolting spinach, I tested a leaf at her request and thought it might be fine for cooking or freezing. So, being the perpetually generous person she is, she told me to grab a bag and scissors and take whatever I wanted since she'd be pulling it soon.

See? It's always worth the trip to CSA what's growing!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/02/2009 2:47 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Sorry you were hung up in traffic. A little farmer told me there would most likely be honey next week. Yum!

 
At 7/02/2009 3:08 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ooooh! Sounds like a very good thing! That might be the key to persuading the RM to go with me again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home