Saturday, July 18, 2009

Market Report: 7/18/09

There are so many vendors now at our local farmers' market that it's really difficult for me to limit my time there. I enjoy getting around to visit people, and I'm always tempted to buy more than I really need.

This morning, though, I had to keep my visit short and sweet -- well, under an hour, anyway -- as I was planning to meet up with the Farmgirl Wannabe and head off to the Family Farm Field Day in Mount Hope.

I made it to the market shortly after 7:30 and was happy to find several of my favorite farmers already set up:


Given what I had already picked up at CSA this week, I had a surprisingly easy time holding on to my money. But I still found some good things to take home:

--red potatoes, cipollini onions, and cookies from the Cheerful Lady
--broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, and carrots from the Fiddlin' Farmer (as well as another lovely little bouquet from his son)
--a pint of honey from the Bee Man
--a dozen ears of bicolor corn from the Corn Queen
--more broccoli from the Young Farmers
--a total of six pints of pickling cucumbers from two separate small farmers

Can you tell what I'll be preserving this week? Yes, I need to make more dill pickles, and I plan on blanching and freezing all that early corn and some of the broccoli. Yum!

By 8:30, then, I was ready to load my produce into the Farmgirl Wannabe's cooler and join her (and her parents!) for our outing.

And all that work will be put off until tomorrow...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7/20/2009 1:47 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Hi Jennifer,

Great finds at your farmers market!! Question for you on the dill pickles - have yours been at all crunchy/crisp in years past? I've been wanting to make some of my own dill pickles, but don't want them to be mushy. I pickled some banana peppers last year - and while the flavor is awesome, the texture is lacking... they're very mushy and didn't hold any of their crispness or anything. Anyway, so thought I'd see if you have any tips?

 
At 7/20/2009 1:54 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Sara, my family dill pickle recipe ends up crisp if I don't process the jars in the hot water bath, but I don't care to risk it. (I could leave them all in the refrigerator, I suppose, but don't have that much room.)

I have read that adding grape leaves (or even oak leaves) to pickle jars help retain the crispness, but I have never tried that so can't vouch for the method.

Anyone else have ideas or experience on this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home