Sunday, June 07, 2009

Pretty Peas?

This afternoon, the Renaissance Man and I decided to head out on some errands, so we stopped first at the garden and paid a visit to the Southern Belle, the Absent-Minded Professor, and My Adorable Nephews.


As much as it amazes me to see how quickly my little guys are growing these days, it amazes them even more to see how quickly the garden grows under their care. The zucchini is growing much bigger and starting to sprawl, while beans and peas jump up and the lettuce and other greens form lush little hedges.

The potatoes, already growing far above their mounds (a design problem I intend to correct
next year), have begun to blossom -- how exciting! While I doubt we'll get a very big crop of spuds this year, it's encouraging to see how well they seem to be doing despite my lack of skill in growing them.

The other delight in this week's garden visit was that the first planting of sugar snap peas has
moved beyond the blossom stage and has developed plenty of crisp pods for picking. Though I've never been a fan of peas, I plucked one pod, zipped it open, and sampled a single pea that ended up so sweet and delectable I had to pass the pod around to the others. Young Beaker interrupted his backyard baseball practice to run up and try some, and he liked the peas so much I handed him another pod for snacking.

I had hoped for a brief visit, but given the temptation to pull weeds, the amount of produce that needed to be harvested, and the company, we ended up lingering for an hour or so in the bright sunshine.


I ended up carrying home a large tote full of big bags of lettuce, spinach, golden chard, pac choi, and radishes; smaller bags with dill, cilantro, snap peas, amaranth, and a few nettles; a bundle of fresh lavender blossoms; and a few garlic curls snapped off the top of the plants. In short, it was nearly a full farmers'-market-visit bag full of fresh food, and there was still plenty left in the garden for my friends!


For dinner, then, I pulled together peas, radishes, garlic scapes, and dill to make a fresh-tasting spring vegetable braise to share with the Renaissance Man.


He prepared the brown rice in his cooker, then headed to the sofa for a well-deserved rest while I blanched the radishes, sautéed the garlic and herbs, and braised everything together for a satisfying meal. What a deal!

There'll be no going hungry this week, that's for sure!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6/08/2009 6:47 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Your garden looks beautiful! We are having a similar potato issue... it's our first year growing as well. No blossoms here yet, just lots of green leafy stuff.

 
At 6/09/2009 6:56 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Tara! The Southern Belle has been doing a wonderful job of keeping the garden weeded -- no easy task when she's almost 7 mos. pregnant!

I think next year I'm going to have to try potatoes in deep pots or in some sort of tower. Trying to mound soil around them in the garden beds is pretty much a losing proposition -- not enough soil and not enough room! Oh well, live and learn...

 
At 6/10/2009 3:33 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Whew! For a second there I thought you weren't going to eat the pea pods. I love those sugar-snap peas, cooked or raw, and even my vegetable-snubbing daughter eats them, which is saying a LOT!

 
At 6/10/2009 3:37 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yes, Janet, I did eat the pods -- and after Beaker dropped the rest of his snack, I told him he could eat the pod, too. (Yes, he liked it!) :-)

Aside from this one dish, I've mainly been eating them raw -- so good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home