Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? 2009 Week 5

At last! We had sunshine on our CSA pickup day! And what a difference that makes!

My Dear Papa and I headed out after I left work, and by the time we arrived at the Lady Bountiful's farm, the Renaissance Man had already shown up and was busy inspecting (or "petting," as he puts it) the new barn. Wouldn't you know it, on a hot sunny day, where else would he be but inside the walk-in cooler?

I left him to his investigations while Papa and I sorted out our week's produce:


--one quart strawberries (for my folks)
--one bunch Swiss chard (for my folks)
--one bag lettuce (for me)
--one pint sugar snap peas (for my folks)
--1 1/2 lb zucchini (yes, zucchini! all mine!)
--four small tomatoes (can you believe it? also all mine!)
--one bag garlic scapes (mine again)
--one bunch beets (for my folks; Papa loves the greens, the Chef Mother loves the roots; the reason behind their long-lasting marriage, I'm sure)
--two sweet onions (split)
--one bag broccoli (mine)
--my half-dozen eggs

Things are starting to pick up, and their plans for succession crops seem to be working out amazingly well this year. I mean, tomatoes in June! Wow!

While My Dear Papa headed back home and the Renaissance Man continue to wander around, I looked at one lettuce bed and decided to start weeding it, pulling all the (you guessed it) lambs' quarters and harvesting just a few for myself. As usual, the Lady Bountiful chuckled when she saw what I had done.

So much good food! Guess I'd better start eating!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/26/2009 10:23 AM, Blogger Tara said...

We made an all CSA stir-fry to celebrate the beginning of the "produce train." Mmmm, it was wonderful! I meant to go early and weed this week but got caught up yapping at the coffee shop and barely made it over to the farm in time for pick up. Note to self: no more trips to the coffee shop on pick up day!

 
At 6/26/2009 10:27 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

That does sound good, Tara! I'm thinking of a CSA pasta dish this weekend. Maybe this next week I can spend a little more time weeding or chatting since I won't have to rush back for an evening meeting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home