Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? 2009, Week 3

The Lady Bountiful's weekly CSA newsletter arrived in my emailbox early this morning -- always a good start to the day! She listed the produce we'd be picking up today and added news about the farm and little tidbits of useful information.

For example, in letting us know that we'd be getting garlic scapes today, she noted that the garlic scapes must be removed from the garlic stalk in order for the bulb to develop fully. I hadn't realized that, so I'll have to make sure I collect all the curls from the tops of the garlic in my garden.

When we arrived to pick up produce this afternoon, I had the chance to say hello to Tara (hello, Tara!) and enjoy a little chat with her before she headed out -- always a highlight! And My Dear Papa gathered our produce as he waited patiently for me.


We had a richly colored assortment of produce to enjoy:

--two quarts of strawberries (one for each of us)
--a bunch of Swiss chard (for my folks)
--a bag of lettuce (also for my folks; I have plenty from the garden)
--a bag of spinach (mine)
--a bag of arugula (mine)
--a bag of garlic scapes (all mine!)

That's still a lot of greens for me, since I'm still working through lettuce and chard from the garden. But the Lady included a recipe for arugula pesto that might be worth a try as well as the suggestion to add the greens to roasted potatoes or steamed vegetables. (Now, if only I had some potatoes!)

But hey, I am not complaining about good food, especially since I also got some delicious strawberries out of the deal!

Now, I just have to eat (or preserve) it all.

And we'll CSA you again next week!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6/11/2009 3:46 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

I've been having a great time so far with my CSA. The last two weeks we've been getting potatoes, scallions, lettuce, and other random tidbits (a nasturtium to plant, sprigs of peppermint, etc.) We had so many scallions--there was nothing that I could do but make scallion pancakes and ginger-lime dipping sauce for the house. :-D The peppermint was turned into mojitos. Now just to figure out what to do with the massive amounts of lettuce without overdosing on salads.

 
At 6/11/2009 3:48 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Wow, Phoenix, you've got potatoes already? Yum! And I'm very proud of you for being so brave and resourceful -- and making scallion pancakes. (Darn.)

I did make a creamy lettuce soup once, back in the day, but I don't know, it just doesn't grab me now... Oh yeah, how about the lettuce-wrapped tempeh recipe I gave you? I should look that up myself.

 
At 6/11/2009 3:54 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Of course! Lettuce wraps. Brilliant!

 
At 6/12/2009 7:03 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yeah, I confess that only just occurred to me as I was typing. But do you really need an excuse to make the peanut dipping sauce? ;-)

 
At 6/12/2009 10:32 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Hi! :-)

I am getting smarter about food preservation this year. I ordered an extra quart of berries and froze two bags for use this fall or winter. Those red things they try to pass off as berries in the grocery come December are pretty scary!

 
At 6/12/2009 10:53 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Good work, Tara! I decided to wait until this weekend to pick up more, and then I'll make jam and dry the rest for baking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home