Saturday, June 13, 2009

Market Report: 6/13/09

Having missed last week's opening farmers' market -- even for a very good reason -- left me eager to get to this morning's market. So I headed down to the square by 7:30, well before the crowds, and spent time wandering and talking with some of my favorite farmers.

It didn't take long for me to start bumping in to other customers, like My Wonderful Parents, and the visit quickly grew to a social hour. And then two.

Of course, with two quadrants of the square now filled with tents and tables and terribly tempting food, it does take longer for me to scout out the culinary prospects of the day. And I did add in a side trip to the bank to replenish my cash flow.

But it was so worth it.


I filled up my backpack -- and another bag -- with plenty of good food:

--asparagus, spinach, and two cookies from the Cheerful Lady, with a side helping of good-natured harassment from Handyman Joe (don't worry, I dish it back)
--carrots, snow peas, strawberries, sacred basil plants, and a bonus German thyme pot from the Spelt Baker
--a small bag of nettles from the Herb Lady (since my crop has been thin this year)
--two quarts of maple syrup from the Maple Folks
--two pints of honey from the Bee Man
--two quarts of strawberries from a new lady (the Bee Man's neighbor?)
--a giant kohlrabi from an old friend
--asparagus and red-veined sorrel from a fellow Local Roots board member's farm


--cauliflower (!) from another new organic farmer
--peanut butter goat milk fudge from that friendly face
--little red potatoes from the Amish folks

And in the midst of all that, I bumped into my fabulous graphic designing friend Jen, and we popped into the Hungarian pastry shop for coffee and a friendly chat. Such a treat!

Once I'd filled up my stomach and my bags, though, it was time to head home and get busy.

And I'll tell you more about that later!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home