Friday, June 19, 2009

Independence Days #6

So much good produce, so little time this week... good thing I get plenty of work done on the weekends!

1. Plant something: Planted white sage, Calypso dried beans, tatsoi, and sacred basil in pots on my front porch.


2. Harvest something: At the Renaissance Man's garden, I pulled radishes and picked more mint and lavender; foraged for mulberries and plantain.


3. Preserve something: Dried nettles, strawberries, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, lavender; made two microbatches (not quite 2 full pints) of strawberry jam (one with lavender); made lavender honey (above); blanched and froze snow peas.

4. Reduce waste: Used boiling water from canner to soak labels off beer bottles (to be used in another project), then when cool, used to water garden; added carrot tops and tips, asparagus stems, water from steaming potatoes and asparagus in vegetable stock; started stock "bucket" in freezer for other such reusable food scraps.


5. Preparation and storage: Cleaned some of my spare plant pots with water and a bit of bleach; made and froze vegetable soup stock; stocked up on maple syrup at the farmers' market since they had a small harvest this year.

6. Build local food systems: Talked to new farmers' market vendors about Local Roots and spread the word with other folks (including at the hair salon and a gathering at a nearby farm!); posted my article on the permaculture workshop at the Jones Farm over at The Ethicurean; continued work on the Local Roots newsletter.

7. Eat the food: Nettle fritters; bread with strawberry jam "scum"; fresh, crisp vegetables for snacking; more salads; pasta with asparagus, carrots, bok choy, and cilantro pesto; crepes with yogurt and mulberries.

I'm hoping that once I can get some more rest, I'll be ready to exercise more such Independence this coming weekend and week.

Until then, I've got a date -- with my pillow!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home