Friday, June 12, 2009

Independence Days #5

It's been a very, very busy week, so I'm ready to relax this evening with a simple meal, a local brew, and a book. But before I do, here's the Independence Days wrap-up for the week:

1. Plant something: Planted carrots, Soldier dry beans, calendula, and basil with the Southern Belle.

2. Harvest something: At the Southern Belle's on Sunday, I harvested lots of lettuce, spinach, chard, pac choi, radishes, amaranth, nettles, dill, cilantro, garlic curls, snap peas, and lavender; at the Renaissance Man's garden, I pulled radishes and picked more lemon balm.


3. Preserve something: Dried two batches of pac choi, lemon balm, nettles, lavender, spinach.

4. Reduce waste: Saved flour from rolling out pie crust; saved bags from CSA pickup to use at farmers' market.

5. Preparation and storage: Bought a big bottle of white grape juice for low-sugar fruit canning later this summer; bought a dozen little jam jars for microbatches.

6. Build local food systems: Took a permaculture class last weekend and made a few new connections there; taught My Adorable Nephews a little more about gardening; worked with the Local Roots marketing subcommittee to move ahead on the next newsletter, a film series, and other events; and started the Forty Seeds Project.

7. Eat the food: That lovely spring braise from last weekend; plenty of salads; broccoli pizza; a delicious lavender-blueberry coffee cake; and a fresh herb and greens kuku (Persian egg dish) to share with my marketing cohorts (along with local brews).

I'd like to say it's now time to rest for the weekend, but tonight is the only chance I'll get as tomorrow I'm off to the farmers' market.

And who knows what next week will bring?

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/15/2009 11:44 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Hi Jennifer! Just a quick question - how do you plan on using your dried spinach and pac choi? I have tons of both right now and can't keep up with them on the fresh eating. I've been blanching and freezing some, but am curious about drying it. I've heard that you can dry it and then crush it up to use in making homemade pasta, but haven't looked into that much yet. So thought I'd ask about how you use yours?

Thanks!
Sara

 
At 6/15/2009 11:49 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Sara, you've hit upon one of the key things I plan to do. I have yet to make spinach pasta from last year's dried spinach, but I suspect that grinding it with the flour will make it really easy to make delicious pasta.

I'm also planning to use them in soups and things like the Bangkok noodles I made a few weeks ago -- something where the dried leaves, even in crumbled bits, can be simmered back to tasty life again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home