Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? 2009, Week 1

Since last year My Wonderful Parents and I so enjoyed our weekly trips to pick up our CSA produce, our visits with the Lady Bountiful and the Gentleman Farmer and their cheerful children, and all the good food, we decided to sign up for a share again this year.

And to celebrate the Chef Mother's birthday today, we picked up our goodies for week 1!


The skies turned threatening on our way out of town as thunderstorms skittered across the area, so by the time we showed up at the farm, the air was heavy with potential rain. But the atmosphere lightened considerably when we saw the happy crowd gathered around the new barn, eager for their fresh produce.

This year, the Gentleman Farmer and their eldest son built a section of raised beds for the early produce, as you can see above. About half of those beds were full to spilling over with delicious lettuce, beet greens, kale, radishes, and the start of peas.


Several of those items then found their way into our cloth bags to carry home:

--plenty of lettuce (as much as we needed for the week, urged the Lady, so My Dear Papa and I both picked two bunches)
--a bundle of beet greens (for My Dear Papa, of course)
--kale (for me)
--radishes (for the folks; I've got enough from the garden right now)
--three leeks (overwintered; split)
--three herb pots (I took basil and thyme; My Dear Papa chose sage)

While the Lady was showing another (new) CSA shareholder the gardens, I headed out to the lettuce patch and did a little weeding for her, ending up with a bundle of lambs' quarters. She and her eldest son both smiled indulgently at me and let me wash up the "weeds" to take home along with the rest of my produce.

And before I piled back into the car with the folks, the Lady stopped me, saying, "Oh, don't forget your eggs!" That's right, this year she offered egg shares along with the produce, and I signed up for a half-share (half a dozen eggs each week). I didn't get a photo of the eggs, but you can well imagine these brown beauties as larger than average and full of golden goodness.

As we headed home, the rain began (again) in earnest, but nothing could dampen our spirits.

It's CSA season again! Good food all around!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5/28/2009 2:03 PM, Blogger Tara said...

We didn't waste any time digging right into ours. I made a huge mixed greens salad with fresh sour dough croutons. Yum! And I was thrilled that my 13 year-old opened the egg carton to have a look, "because these kind of eggs are so pretty."

 
At 5/28/2009 2:35 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Amen to that, Tara! Sorry I didn't get to see you but am glad you were all as excited as we were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home