Monday, May 25, 2009

Bake In the Saddle Again

I can't begin to express how luxurious it seems today to have a day off work. With everything that's been going on the past few months, a breather like this has been all too rare.

And though I've spent the entire day thus far working in different ways, it has been utterly satisfying.


I fired up the oven early this morning to bake a pan of cheese grits for breakfast, but I followed that immediately with a couple pans of muffins made with tomatillo mincemeat, canned peaches (and syrup), local egg and spelt flour, and other good things. The muffins turned out dense but rich and spicy.


Then I pulled out my trusty fruit-date bar recipe and made a filling with local rhubarb, a half-pint of mulberry-lemon-ginger jam from last year, and an 8-oz package of cream cheese. This creamy, sweet-tart filling slid between the buttery base and the spicy oatmeal-ginger topping with ease, making a meltingly velvet texture and a deliciously rich flavor.

Following a bit of work in the Renaissance Man's garden, I returned home to make a broccoli pizza for lunch, perhaps one of my best ever with a crackly whole wheat crust.

On top of that, I blanched and froze my first greens of the season (pac choi).

Don't worry, though, I'll rein in this activity soon -- I'm getting tired!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5/26/2009 10:44 AM, Blogger Green Bean said...

Ah, I go on baking binges every now and then - when I have a day like yours. They are really centering, aren't they. Do you have a link for the fruit date bar recipe?

 
At 5/26/2009 10:52 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Centering -- what a perfect way to describe it, Green Bean. Yes, it felt very right and centering yesterday to focus on that for a change. The recipe is listed as Blueberry-Date Bars in my Recipes link (see sidebar or click the link here), but it's wonderfully versatile and can take a variety of fruits or jams and spices.

 
At 5/26/2009 6:15 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Oh, those bars look tasty. I have some preserves to use up too!

 
At 5/27/2009 7:05 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Worth a try, Tara! And I was pleasantly surprised that working the cream cheese into the bubbling mix worked so well (though it did scorch the pan a bit because I didn't stir it enough and keep the heat down... oh well). It's a recipe worth playing with...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home