Tuesday, April 07, 2009

In the Weeds

There's so much going on around here right now that it's really difficult for me to keep up with the blog. Life continues to happen in a big, demanding way, and right now I'm juggling a good deal:

--still running My Wonderful Parents around until My Dear Papa is released to drive again
--a major push with Local Roots toward a big public meeting at the end of the month (and I'm involved in the marketing angle so will be busy writing copy for brochures and an upcoming web site)
--helping the Renaissance Man in any way possible following his recent accident
--taking on a few new responsibilities at work and wrapping up others
--starting this year's Victory Garden
--major spring cleaning
--finding time for friends!

So for a little while, posting will be thin (though I'll try to keep up with the Preserving series since it's quickly coming to the end of the year!). I do have a few recommended reads for you to tide you over, though:

--Did you see the news? There's a vegetable garden at the White House! Not only that, but the First Family is getting local students involved, a worthy cause made dear to my heart after my visit with Ed Bruske (The Slow Cook) at the Children's Studio School Garden in DC.

--Other folks are getting their gardens started, too, and enjoying the peace and satisfaction it brings. Sharon offers her poetic and thoughtful take on the subject over at Hen and Harvest.

--Times are tough, and sometimes it's hard to afford the truly good, healthy, local food we idealize. Fellow Ethicurean Charlotte reminds us, though, that there's more to the price of groceries than meets the eye, and she explains why she's done cheating on her egg lady.

As for me, cooking will be basic and utilitarian this week, but hopefully this weekend I'll be able to try something new to share with you.

And as soon as I can do something about these "weeds," I'll be back...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/08/2009 7:05 AM, Blogger Ed Bruske said...

Next time you are in D.C. you should visit my friend Iris Rothman, a volunteer who is the driving force behind the gardens at Bancroft Elementary School, the school Michelle Obama invited to take part in the White House garden. Iris has now started a community garden at the school, joining neighbors and the school kids. A great concept that needs to be a model for community gardens across the country.

 
At 4/08/2009 7:36 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

That's great, Ed! Hope you'll have a link to her project (if there is one) at your web site so we can follow what's going on. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home