Thursday, April 30, 2009

Green Test

Now that I'm getting both gardens planted with some early greens, I realize that I need to clean out the remains of last year's greens from the freezer to make room for the new.

I only managed to put away two small bags of spinach last summer, and with only one left, I think I will save that for some pasta dish. But I put away a good bit more pac choi, and I'm having to come up with new ways of using it.

Last week I had a bag that had been thawing for over a week, so I hurried up and threw it into a tortilla wrap with some tomato hummus. (Not bad.)

Tonight, though, I wanted to try this dark leafy green in a recipe I haven't pulled out for a while: Bangkok noodles.

I haven't cooked Thai food in a long time, especially with coconut milk, because the more I work local foods into my diet, the less I reach for specialty items like that. Once in a while, though, it's a nice foil to local produce.

This dish usually calls for spinach, but I figured the pac choi would add a nice edge (along with some mature and potent garlic... wheeeee!).


And I was right. Between that rich curry-laden sauce, the dark and savory greens, and a hit of potent garlic, this noodle dish made a temperature-rising comfort meal on a damp evening with a hint of chill in the air.

For the complexity of the flavors in the recipe, it's surprisingly simple and one I should pull out more often, despite the dearth of a bumper coconut crop here in northeastern Ohio.

Maybe I should test it again when I pick fresh pac choi this year...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5/02/2009 8:07 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

that sounds DELICOUS! today I plan to sow my asian greens (3 varieties of baby bok choy) and a few other things I can't recall... I have one bag of collard greens left in the freezer from last year, and need to make sure I freeze more variety this year.

 
At 5/02/2009 10:17 AM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Local coconuts - now THERE's a crop with some added value! When you harvest your first ones, sign me up for the CSA...

 
At 5/04/2009 7:12 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Wow, three varieties of bok choy? That sounds GOOD. But yes, Kelly, I definitely need to freeze more greens this year -- I have to get more greens in my winter diet.

Emily, I can see my CSA niche market now... Ohio-grown tropical fruit. Yeah, and when I get that worked out, I'll never have to work again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home