Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Gene Therapy

A cool rain has settled on us for the past two days. I've been thinking that I'd like to get over to the garden to check on the first seeds and to plant the next round, but between the rain and my busy schedule, that just hasn't happened.

But I received a delightful surprise today that keeps the garden close to my heart...


Behold! Remember when I told you that Gene Logsdon was revising his classic Small-Scale Grain Raising, and that I had been fortunate enough to get a manuscript copy to review for the Ethicurean? Well, it has finally made the transition to a published book, and I got my copy in the mail today.

How exciting! Now I'm ready to get out and plant my very own "pancake patch" of either winter wheat or buckwheat. (Or maybe one of each!)


And what's really exciting for me is that a quote from my Ethicurean review has been printed on the back cover. Wheeeee!

That little tidbit is hardly the important part, though. If you're at all interested in raising some of your own grains for milling, baking, or cooking, this book is the definitive resource for you. Nothing else compares in terms of breadth, depth, and sheer delight. It'll make your fingers start to itch for the feel of soil underneath, and you'll start craving biscuits and pancakes and the like.

That's the kind of therapy that will make any day brighter!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/18/2009 8:11 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Congratulations! I'll look forward to reading about your grain-growing. I assume you're talking about planting winter wheat in the fall, yes?

 
At 4/20/2009 7:09 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'm still hoping to plant wheat this fall, yes, though I need to find a new location for sowing it as the first fell through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home