Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Dig Weekend

Spring has finally decided to bring us some warm, sunny, almost summery weather, and I've had just enough free time in my schedule to plan some garden visits.


On Thursday, the Absent-Minded Professor picked me up from work and took me to his family's home, where I waved to the Southern Belle and My Adorable Nephews in transit to the back yard. While the AMP dug a bed and planted the blueberry bushes I had ordered for them at Christmas, I worked on putting in a second round of seeds. (I forgot to take my camera, but I'll try to remember next time around.)

Since the peas, lettuce and other greens, radishes, and even last year's scallions were doing so well, I planted another round of each of those items. Then I added in a row of Yellow Finn potatoes, a row of parsnips, a small row of golden beets, and some cilantro. The soil is at the perfect mixture of rich moisture and crumbly texture and warmth, so I'm hoping those will all germinate soon.

On Friday, I grabbed my shovel and mud boots and headed for the Renaissance Man's back garden. Since he is out of commission for a while, I figured that if I wanted anything grown at his place, I'd have to do all the work myself.

So I did. Friday afternoon I worked up a sweat clearing last year's patch and making a dent on a new section, and this morning I headed back over to finish clearing.


And though this picture doesn't give a hint of what's under the surface, I'll tell you: both Sangre and Green Mountain potatoes, Blue Coco pole beans, Masai bush beans, Windsor fava beans, French Breakfast and Munchener Bier radishes, Noir de Russie scorzonera (the closest thing to salsify I could find for the Chef Mother), Chioggia beets, Antares Oakleaf lettuce, Red Cipollini onions, and chives. I still have lavender and sage from last year's planting, and I even have room for a couple of cherry tomato seedlings once those are large enough to transplant.

Whew! You can well imagine that I'm a little worn out from the push, but I am so glad to have this done. I'll still have more to plant at the original garden, but hey, the growing season is well underway.

And that's a dig deal.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4/26/2009 9:49 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

You've earned a good night's sleep, and I expect you'll get it!

 
At 4/27/2009 7:35 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ah, would that I had, Janet, but there was a bit of a disturbance outside my window overnight. Had to wait until last night to get a little more rested...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home