Sunday, March 29, 2009

Preserving the Seasons: March, Week 4

Though we still get chilly spells around here, I think it's safe to say that we're going to wrap up March with a lot more "wearin' of the green" outside than at the start of the month.

From my front window, I can see daffodils in full bloom, trees and bushes setting buds, birds flitting about with their springtime exuberance. I even spotted a tiny violet on the way to the compost pile this morning!

Yes, Spring is definitely here, bringing with it a renewal of life and breath and happiness. Sign me up for some of that, please!

So though I'm still trying to make meals with foods from the pantry and the freezer -- and I will be making a vegetable stew for supper this evening, based on a mix of dried vegetables, to deal with the cooler air today -- I can't help but feature a somewhat lighter dish for this month's local meal.


Since the Lady Bountiful was so, well, bountiful! as to send me home with fresh eggs yesterday, I thought I might just have to make a quiche. I rolled out a crust using local spelt flour, added the remains of a bag of thawed broccoli (what didn't fit onto last week's pizza), and whisked together local eggs, milk, sour cream, and dried savory (from the garden) for the filling.

I sprinkled a little local Cheddar and some home-dried onions on top for an extra kick, too, since those dried onions make a sweet and non-fat alternative to the cans of fried onion shreds you find in the stores and on top of bean casseroles.


I served up a small slice for lunch, accompanied by a couple spoonfuls of my canned peaches, and I enjoyed a superb alternative to the lunch special that a couple of local restaurants feature. Yes, I admit I think my quiche and fruit taste better than theirs -- and mine was mostly local!

Now that's the way to welcome Spring!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3/30/2009 2:47 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

oh, what a great looking quiche! my friend Debra brought me 2 dozen eggs (our girls only put out about 1 a day total...not quiche material)...and I may have to whip one up with the last bag of Dinosaur Kale in the freezer.

 
At 3/31/2009 7:12 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Mmmmmm, quiche with dinosaur kale. You speak my language, Kelly! (But I knew that!) ;-)

 
At 3/31/2009 10:27 AM, Blogger Tara said...

This looks like a perfect early spring lunch... not too much food, still filling, a little bit of sweet thrown in...

 
At 3/31/2009 10:33 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'd have loved a bit of salad with it (maybe chickweed?) but as it was, it was satisfying. :-) And those peaches tasted sooooo good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home