Thursday, March 05, 2009

Doc's Orders

I've had a hard time getting to the computer this week -- and have had virtually nothing to share with you, Dear Readers -- because all my energies have been focused in one direction: My Wonderful Parents.

In this whirlwind week, My Dear Papa was whisked off to bypass surgery, and the Chef Mother and I have scrambled to keep ourselves together to support him. He came through the surgery with flying colors and is already making good progress, and we all appreciate all the kind thoughts and offers of support that so many people have sent our way.

In the midst of caring for My Dear Papa, though, we have to remember to take care of ourselves, too. And I'm sure it will come as no surprise that a vital part of taking care of ourselves means eating good, healthy food.

We haven't cooked much at home this week (though I did make a very good spinach pizza the other evening). The hospital cafeteria is astonishingly good, but it's a long way away from the cardiovascular unit, so we've only made it there once.


Today, though, we decided to stop at a local eatery on our way home -- and we found a new treasure. The nurses on My Dear Papa's floor had recommended Doc's Deli, and it more than lived up to our expectations.

The main menu encourages customers to build their own sandwiches with a choice of breads, meats, cheeses, condiments, and vegetables, but many of the options are out of the ordinary -- like cucumber wasabi or smoked Gouda or dried apples. And along with that menu, I discovered a list of about a dozen already tried-and-true vegetarian combinations that left me drooling.


I splurged on two sandwiches: one with spring greens, carrots, cucumbers, mushrooms, avocado, feta, and raspberry vinaigrette on flat bread...


...and the other with provolone, smoked Gouda, cucumbers, mushrooms, spring greens, tomato, sunflower seeds, and pesto on flatbread. We each had a half of each kind of sandwich, and we found our appetites thoroughly satisfied (especially since we also split a couple of cookies).

I did not ask whether the produce was local or not -- my guess is that at this time of year it would be difficult to get most of these things locally in the quantities needed for a deli -- but it was all fresh and crisp and utterly delicious.

I'm already looking over the menu for tomorrow's lunch orders, and who knows? We might even indulge in a slice of one of their luscious cheesecakes.

My Dear Papa will certainly have a restricted diet when he comes home, and we will do our best to support him. But we're also trying to take care of ourselves as well, so after such a good lunch, we headed home for a rest.

After all, you've got to do what the Doc tells you!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 3/06/2009 9:36 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Oh, Jennifer, my thoughts are with you and your parents. I'm sure your father will come through with flying colors. With your and Chef Mother's cooking skills, I have no doubt he'll be eating very heart-healthfully upon his release. In the meantime it's good to know you're being well fed.

 
At 3/07/2009 7:28 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thank you, Janet. He's doing very well, and when the nutrition educator came in yesterday, everything she said was something either the Chef Mother or I knew about, so we are set for knowing what to feed him. :-)

 
At 3/11/2009 6:23 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I can't imagine two better nurses for your Dad. We hold your family in our thoughts and are happy you are wise enough not to run yourself into the ground in the process. (The sandwiches look yummy!)

 
At 3/12/2009 5:54 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Tara!

 
At 3/16/2009 2:57 PM, Blogger Yasemin said...

Dear Jennifer,
I love and enjoy your blog, keep up the good work! And my very best wishes for your father. The best thing is that he has the both of you on his side.
Yasemin

 
At 3/17/2009 7:08 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thank you, Yasemin! The kindness of everyone around here helps so much. My father is improving daily, and we are so grateful!

 
At 3/18/2009 3:50 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Jennifer, I'm so glad to read your dad is doing better...and that you got FED! Sending you many hugs and a bucket of puns on the healing wings of spring!

 
At 3/19/2009 7:05 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Kelly! We brought him home yesterday, and he's definitely doing great -- he's not up to speed yet but he's feeling good.

Now... for my own rest so I can make best use of that bucket o' puns!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home