Friday, February 13, 2009

"Yes. We Can."

As I've worked on this year-long Preserving the Seasons series, I've followed a number of other bloggers who have discovered their own ways of encouraging people to preserve food and save the summer's bounty for winter.

Chief among these is Emily at Eat Close to Home (blogging in Ann Arbor, MI). Late last year she realized that she wanted to take a more active role in helping others find ways to enjoy local food and to revive food preservation skills, and after much thought and investigation, she began Preserving Traditions, a community kitchen project with monthly classes on such topics as noodle making, grain milling, and canning.

Among her genius ideas for getting the program off the ground was the development of a stunning poster/logo that boldly states the hopeful message "Yes. We Can." Following the enthusiastic response to her design, she set up a Cafe Press shop to sell t-shirts and tote bags and other items with the logo, with all proceeds going to support Preserving Traditions.


While I can usually resist eye-catching things, when you cross a cool logo and a worthy endeavor, I open up my wallet. And as of this afternoon's mail delivery, I am now the proud owner of a spiffy tote bag (and a couple other items) that demonstrates my love of canning.

If all goes well, I'll get the chance to meet Emily in person in a few weeks and attend one of her Preserving Traditions events. Maybe I'll come away with more ideas on how to set up something similar around here!

Because yes... we can.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2/16/2009 2:18 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

*grin* I'm so glad you like your swag! I'm usually so anti-"stuff" but I couldn't wait to take my bag to the market. To my disappointment, I wasn't badgered with questions. :(

Thanks for the link - and yes, I do hope we get to meet in a couple weeks!

Emily

 
At 2/16/2009 3:29 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Can't wait to take mine to the farmers' market this year, Emily! Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home