Wednesday, February 04, 2009

What's Your Curry?

Though I've been adding Indian seasonings to various throw-together dishes lately (like curry powder in roasted vegetables), it's been a little while since I made a dinner that was closer to a real Indian meal.

But since the temperatures dropped again today, I knew I needed a little extra heat in my belly, so I headed home to make cauliflower curry.

I haven't made this recipe (from the Cabbagetown Cookbook) in a few years, surprisingly, but I found myself longing for its coconut-laced fragrance. And as it turned out, it was a perfect selection for using more of my stored food.


The dish begins with a quick saute of mustard seeds, coconut, and various spices. After that, I added an onion-garlic disc from the freezer, followed by a jar of tomato sauce. For the vegetables, I tossed in my entire jar (about 1/2 cup) of dried cauliflower, half a bag of frozen peas, a small handful of crumbled dried green peppers, and one fresh sweet potato, cubed.

While it simmered for a while, I pulled out my bucket of artisan bread dough and took Emily's excellent suggestion to make naan. I waited until the Renaissance Man arrived for dinner and had him take photos while I shaped and fried the breads.


The book indicates that the small boules of dough should be rolled out to make naan, but I decided to treat them a little more like tortillas and slapped them back and forth between my palms.


My cast iron skillet, well buttered, proved to be the right pan for the naan, and the sides browned nicely. After each bread was done, I slid it onto a tray in the oven (on low heat) until I had finished them all.


With a big cup of chai, the cauliflower curry and the fresh naan made a warming dinner that gave us a chance to sit back, relax, and talk for a while.

Since I still have some cauliflower in the freezer, I might yet make this dish again this winter -- it was so much better than I had remembered!

But hey, I still have time. We'll just see what happens.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/09/2009 9:23 AM, Anonymous Clint said...

I made my first naan last week with the dough. It turned out rather well. It tasted better than the frozen stuff I usually buy from Trader Joe's.

My bread, though, hasn't been working out nearly as well. I find that it doesn't rise nearly as much as I want -- even during the 40 min. rest before going into the oven. I don't know if it's because our house is so cold or if I'm messing up somewhere along the way. It ends up tasting great, it's just a bit dense.

 
At 2/09/2009 9:39 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I confess, I've had problems with my dough lately, too, Clint. Even using the correct proportions, the dough has been on the wet side (maybe because I'm using all whole wheat flour) and my bread has been somewhat dense, too (my place is chilly as well). So maybe my next step is to try some spelt flour and to keep the dough somewhere a little warmer.

You're right, though -- still tastes great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home