Monday, February 02, 2009

Honey -- You Should Have!

Putting food away for winter isn't always an exact science. Sometimes it's more of an art.

Keeping track of what you use one year might not prepare you for variations in the coming year, depending on your cravings or your cooking schedule or how much you may share.

And if you're fairly new to putting food by, you simply might not anticipate using so much.

While my pantry is still fairly full, and I am very willing to share it all, the Renaissance Man has discovered that certain items don't last long in his pantry.

He's gone through a lot more flour this winter since we've been baking so much, and he's starting to run low on oats and maple syrup since he loves his morning oatmeal so well.

But worst of all, he goes through honey like a groundhog goes through an earthen lake dam (slow but sure and destructive).

He'll use honey in tea, of course -- and I've enjoyed my fair share of that -- but he also uses it in oatmeal, on toast, on cornbread, and sometimes in baking.

Last week, though, I spotted a notice in the daily announcement email at work that one of the program houses on campus (where small groups of students live together and contribute their efforts to a local charity or project) had honey for sale.

This was no ordinary honey, though. This program house, known as the Honey House, has taken on their own beehives, and the students are learning beekeeping skills. The alumni magazine recently profiled their work, and I couldn't get over how ingenious the project was (and that our often-behind-the-curve institution supported it).

So when I spotted the offer, I immediately emailed the student in charge and ordered two pints.


This afternoon, a student stopped by my office and traded me the jars for cash payment. It's a good thing I contacted the group right away, as they apparently sold out their stock that first day!

When next I meet the Renaissance Man, I'll share the honey with him, in thanks for all the times he's shared with me.

That's a pretty sweet deal all around, I think.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2/04/2009 9:26 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Oh, that is most excellent! What a great program--I haven't read the article yet, but will definitely make a point to soon. Those jars are beautiful.

 
At 2/04/2009 9:47 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I know! I would love to see more of the program houses doing that sort of thing. It was a short article but a very nice overview of their program.

I'm especially thrilled that they used the glass canning jars -- they will definitely get used in this summer's canning spree. And the wide mouth will make it easier to get all the honey out.

 
At 2/04/2009 1:31 PM, Blogger Tara said...

There isn't much in this world that's more beautiful than sunlight streaming through a honey jar. We've used the last of our local honey. Note to self: next year buy more! (or at the rate local goods are being snatched up, begin reading beekeeping books!)

 
At 2/04/2009 1:45 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I agree, Tara. Did you sign up for Donna's honey share? I wish I had a place for a beehive -- maybe someday, if the bees aren't all gone by then...

 
At 2/04/2009 4:58 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I was all over the honey share and the eggs – one stop shopping! I really do think it would be cool to have bees, the hives just fascinate me and, in addition to honey, I love beeswax for all sorts of things. I'll add it to the list...

 
At 2/05/2009 7:02 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Same here! Can't wait to try those eggs... I've been enjoying her beeswax lip balm, too, and I'm desperate for more hand cream!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home