Friday, February 20, 2009

Gratin Weather

Winter is determined to linger, promising to bring us more snow this weekend.

But I am just as determined to make the most of this wintry weather by pulling out produce -- frozen, canned, and dried -- to make some hearty, comforting meals this weekend to get us through the chill and snow.

For an easy dinner with the Renaissance Man this evening (another movie night!), I thawed a bag of cubed butternut squash and a bag of corn kernels. Along with potatoes from his stash, thin slices of good Cheddar, and a sprinkling of Southwestern spices, I layered the vegetables in a loaf pan and added a mixture of beaten eggs and milk to make a very basic gratin.


It baked quickly (less than 45 minutes at 375 F), resulting in fragrant layers of starch cosseted by a luxurious custard.


We spooned the vegetables onto our plates and added a small salad of fresh chickweed for just a hint of springtime. What a treat!

Now we're warm enough to face the wintriest of storms. (We hope!)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/24/2009 8:59 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Oof! That looks divine. I may have to do a gratin myself!

 
At 2/25/2009 6:58 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I'm not sure I'd call it divine, Janet, but it makes being human awfully nice. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home