Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Goose Is Loose

Waaaaaay back in the summer -- seems so long ago now! -- having discovered that the Renaissance Man had a nostalgic fondness for gooseberry pie, I took advantage of his absence one weekend to stock up on extra berries to freeze for a winter surprise.

As I've been a little slack on dessert-making of late, this weekend seemed like a good time to indulge in a little baking. And what better way to show such a sterling fellow my affection than to bake a pie for him for Valentine's Day?

Technically, I made the pie last evening, knowing that we'd be heading to the Farm for part of the weekend, but the idea was the same. I mixed the dough at home, then loaded up the dough, a pie plate, and the filling ingredients to take to his place and finish the recipe there.


I followed a different recipe this time, using cornstarch to thicken the berry mixture, but apparently the berries didn't thaw enough, because they still ended up juicy and running loose from the cover of the pie crust.

That's okay, though -- it still tasted delicious, and the Renaissance Man was delighted with the treat. (He also didn't feel the need to share the pie with the Farm Folks as he carefully tucked it away in the cupboard before we headed out.)

I won't claim it's my favorite pie -- sometimes those berries are a little too tart for me -- but I'm happy to make it once in a while if it makes him happy.

After all, what's good for the goose... well, I'll let you finish that thought!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home