Saturday, January 24, 2009

Soup's On!

Despite yesterday's momentary warm spell, winter returned this morning with a vengeance, knocking me off my feet (literally -- ow) and chilling me to the bone.

I'm glad to report, though, that my colleague (She Who Brings Fresh Donuts) gave me an offhanded but excellent suggestion yesterday: French onion soup.

I haven't made it in a couple of years, and though you'd think a soup based on beef broth wouldn't translate well to a vegetarian dish, I rely on the excellent onion soup recipe from the Cabbagetown Cookbook that adds tamari and sherry to vegetable broth.

So once the Renaissance Man returned from a quick trip to the Farm, he picked me up and dropped me into his kitchen, where I started chopping and sautéeing onions.

Being hungry and impatient, I'm afraid I didn't caramelize the onions deeply enough for their sweetness and depth of flavor (and color), but on the whole the soup turned out very nicely.


I sliced the whole wheat artisan loaf I'd made last night, brushed a little olive oil on it, and topped it with a couple wedges of Gruyère cheese before sliding into a hot oven for a quick toast. These "croutons" then graced the bottom of our soup bowls.


With the soup on top soaking into the toast, the fragrance wafting up from the bowls was heavenly, and we couldn't wait to enjoy dinner.

What a satisfying dish for a cold night! (Though I'm afraid we both still wanted more toast later in the evening while watching movies -- it was that kind of night!)

And with another jar of stock in the fridge, what soup will be on next?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1/27/2009 1:08 PM, Blogger Tara said...

We really love French onion soup here too. I used vegetable broth with lots of cracked black pepper and a healthy shot of vermouth and that seems to work just fine. The rule is that both hubby and I have to eat it on the same night so that we're in the same "onion soup breath" boat!

 
At 1/27/2009 1:10 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Works well that way, doesn't it, Tara? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home