Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Freezer Eggstravaganza

In my quest to use all my canned and frozen (and dried) foods at a steady pace this year, I've gotten into the habit of pulling three or four bags from the freezer on a Sunday night.

Most of the time, I don't have a good idea of how I'll end up using the vegetables, but I aim for a balance between greens and golds (broccoli, spinach, pac choi versus corn, yellow beans, squash). That way I can combine vegetables for better nutrition and more pizzazz, no matter what recipe I use.

Some things are easy: broccoli usually gets used in homemade pizza since I put away almost as much broccoli as pizza sauce. I try to reserve peas for Indian cooking, and the breaded eggplant slices naturally end up as eggplant Parmesan.

Everything else, though, is fair game. The challenge is to use it all up by the end of the week in simple but healthy and nutritious dishes that will either extend to a guest or to my weekday lunches (preferably both!). And I confess to a certain laziness: if they end up in one-pot meals, so much the better!

This week I pulled out a package of shredded zucchini, a bag of green beans, and the roasted red peppers. For dinner tonight, I knew the three would work well together in some colorful dish. Then it occurred to me: quiche!

I haven't made quiche in a while, but I had all the other ingredients, and it seemed like a winning solution. Since I had planned to share dinner with the Renaissance Man, who worked later than I did, I even had a little time after work to prep everything before heading to his place.


So I threw together a pie crust dough (with local spelt flour), whisked together local eggs and milk for the filling, dumped vegetables and herbs into a bowl, grabbed my glass pie plate, and walked over to his place. I commandeered the kitchen, rolled out the dough and fitted it into the plate, added the vegetables and eggs, shredded some cheese on top, and set it in the oven to bake.

We curled up for another movie night (a very fine activity on all these cold winter evenings), and we enjoyed some very creamy and delicious quiche for dinner. What a treat!

Now he has leftovers for lunch, I have a leftover slice for lunch, and I've taken care of this week's freezer selections.

Question is, what will I make for the rest of the week?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/03/2009 9:29 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Fun! I love the idea of having a bunch of wonderful things you must use in a few days. It reminds me of the CSA deliveries, but frozen.

 
At 2/04/2009 7:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

What a wonderful way of thinking of it, Janet! My very own freezer CSA! That should definitely give me new inspiration -- or something. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home