Friday, December 19, 2008

Sweet Christmas Wishes

It's shaping up to be a very low-key Christmas around the Rolling in the Dough kitchen. Even as I bake far less than usual, it seems that others are feeling the need for restraint as well.

I am not complaining in the least. In fact, I welcome this trend! It's all too easy to over-indulge in holiday treats, but that seems like a remote worry this year.


My kind colleagues, the Archivist and She Who Brings Fresh Donuts, shared goodie bags with a modest selection of homemade and carefully-considered bought treats. While SWBFD paired her homemade "puppy chow" or "reindeer chow" with Hershey's kisses and herbal teas, the Archivist packed up a pair of buttery shortbread cookies, her traditional cranberry-pistachio biscotti, and a trio of homemade preserves (grape, blackberry, and peach).

I also received a small bag of big buckeyes from the Lady Bountiful after the OEFFA meeting last night, though they didn't make it into this picture. (But boy, were they great!)

I do still anticipate the annual shipment of caramels and buckeyes from My Fabulous Aunt, but they are likely to arrive after Christmas, so it will be easier to avoid an overload of sugar.

And that's good enough for me!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12/29/2008 11:51 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Mmmm... Yummy gifts! I made my first batches of jam and jelly this year and it was nice to give them to friends, along with a box of crepe mix. I also used my elderberry rose jelly in a lemon thumprint cookie, which I gave to my mother-in-law (what do you give to parents who have everything?). It's been inspiring to visit your blog this year and glean so many ideas. I hope to expand my efforts next season (those herbed salts and sugars are first on my list!). Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

 
At 12/30/2008 7:44 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

The crepe mix sounds great, Tara -- truly a unique gift! And I'd say you are definitely off to a great and creative start. Hope to keep swapping ideas with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home