Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Starchy Night

Though winter's winds have chilled us a good bit lately, today proved that we ain't seen nothin' yet. After frigid temps in the teens last night, the day hardly warmed before a driving snow sailed into town and created slick roads and cold necks. Brrr!

In short, it was another perfect day for comfort food.

I'm gradually working my way through the longer-lasting produce from my CSA share and the farmers' market, with a little help from the Renaissance Man, and so I was able to throw together two simple but hearty and warming meals for us today.


After running around town on errands, I roasted sweet potatoes and potatoes with garlic, curry powder, chili powder, paprika, and chick peas, then tossed in steamed kale at the last to collect a little extra spice and crispness. Along with homemade rosemary-walnut bread, it gave us a nice lunch to stick to our ribs!


For dinner, I used up a pre-made pie shell from his freezer, his last carrot, some of my parsnips and leeks, a touch of fresh dill (lingering from the garden!), and a bit of Muenster cheese to make a delicious root vegetable quiche. Astonishingly, it smelled like Thanksgiving dinner (turkey and dressing all rolled into one) as it baked, but the taste was pure root vegetable sweetness and comfort.

It was almost a pity, then, that we needed to head out in the cold after warming up to good food, but I had promised to take baklava to the contra dance, and I knew we'd get warmed up again very quickly on the dance floor.

The forecast for the rest of the weekend calls for more of the same, both in weather and in leftovers, so I don't think we'll have any problems staying warm.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12/08/2008 10:21 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I could easily live off starchy comfort food until spring arrives. Not the best plan for my waistline though... Lovely winter fare. I'm really impressed you managed to hang on to your CSA rations this long. Wow!

 
At 12/09/2008 7:17 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ahhhhh... confession time, Tara! I haven't given much time to cooking since the CSA ended, so I still have heaps of potatoes and sweet potatoes and squash. I must do something soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home