Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Nibby End to the Year

I awoke this morning to find that not only was it still cold outside (big surprise) but that a fair bit of snow had fallen, covering the neighborhood. Though it didn't look too treacherous, I did slip a bit as I took out the trash, and I was grateful to stay home and cook for another day.

I started off the day by firing up the oven to bake a batch of cookies I had started yesterday. A couple weeks ago, I had spotted the recipe for "Nibby Buckwheat Butter Cookies" over at Culinate, and since I had a small amount of cacao nibs to use up -- and the Renaissance Man is a fan of buckwheat flour -- I thought it was worth a try.


The dough turned out to be a variation on refrigerator cookies, so after chilling overnight, the log of dough emerged this morning, and I cut thick slices to spread on my cookie sheets. The taste is delightful: a little dark and grainy, but marvelously offsetting the faint chocolate crunch of the nibs. I'm a fan!


The cardinal that perched in the bush outside my kitchen window seemed to agree, though I couldn't bear to share with it.

Later in the morning, I prepped vegetables and rolled out pie dough to make my annual winter break vegetable pot pie. (I know, I just can't shake this pie obsession lately!) I varied the vegetables a little, throwing together sweet potato, potato, parsnip, a touch of dried zucchini, and snow peas along with onion and garlic.


While not a glamorous pie by any means, the pot pie smelled wonderful as it came out of the oven, and I couldn't wait to tuck in.


Obviously I did not get the stock thickened enough before filling the pie, but it tasted like home and made me very contented to stay inside, warm my belly, and settle in with a good book for the afternoon.

I don't even know what the rest of this New Year's Eve will hold, but I do hope that all my Dear Readers have a blessed and joyful New Year.

Stay warm, and I'll see you in 2009!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home