Thursday, December 25, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a Pie Christmas

Christmas is here at last, and it's not like any other in my past.

I spent time with My Wonderful Parents yesterday and opened presents with them, so there was no waking to presents under the tree on Christmas morn this year. (Actually, that was a pleasant change of pace.)

Instead, the Renaissance Man and I loaded the truck and headed back down to the Farm to spend the day with his folks.


We started off our visit by bundling into Carhartts, jumping on the tractor, and heading out to the woods to start clearing one major trail of some of the fallen trees we assume were left in the wake of Hurricane Ike.

That's right: we spent our Yule cutting logs. Well, he wielded the chainsaw, and I dragged brush out of the paths and stacked wood.

After two hours of that, though, I was ready to head indoors, wash up, and start cooking Christmas dinner (sort of my gift to his elderly parents).

Over the course of an hour -- and with help from the Renaissance Man -- I laid the table with a baked ham, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad, and homemade biscuits. (No, no local produce, sadly; but we work with what we're given, right?)


And for dessert, I trotted out my longtime favorite, pecan pie. (I had hoped to convince the Renaissance Man to make his pumpkin pie again, but he persuaded me that one pie should be enough for us.)

For me, pecan pie is essential for at least one holiday per year, so I was eager to make it for Christmas (even after making a local variation for Thanksgiving). And everyone appreciated it thoroughly!

I'm more than happy to change some Christmas traditions.

But some things -- like pie -- should never change.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home