Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Can Seed Clearly Now the Grain Has Come

Recently I spotted a couple of posts on Sharon's blog reminding me of the importance of having plenty of seed for next year's garden -- as well as the potential shortage of seeds as more people turn to raising their own food.

I had already received my Fedco Trees catalog for the year and ordered the blueberry bushes I planned to give to My Adorable Nephews for the back edge of our garden, but Sharon's post made me a little anxious about getting my seed catalog from Fedco.

Therefore, I spent some time with last year's catalog last weekend and listed all the seeds I wanted to buy this year. The list ran to three pages (double columns) since I knew that we would have double the space for planting -- and since I wanted to try extending the season.

I spent my lunch hour Monday ordering online, updating my selections according to availability. It was a whopper of an order, and I won't embarrass myself by divulging how much I spent, but let it suffice to say that I have very low sales resistance in the face of such excellent heirloom and open-pollinated varieties.


Astonishingly, the first portion of my order arrived already today: the grain seeds I plan to sow in order to grow my own winter wheat and buckwheat, along with a couple of seed packs for soil-building (including some for the Farm so we can rebuild a garden plot there), a broadcast spreader for sowing an even crop of grain, and a couple of books. How exciting!

At least, it would have remained utterly thrilling had I not then attended the meeting of the local chapter of OEFFA (Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association) this evening -- and discovered that they were putting together a group order for seed potatoes in order to get a hefty discount, and they would be ordering their seeds from Fedco at next month's meeting.

Well, so I jumped the gun on that one. Still, I have my seeds (including seed potatoes) ordered, and I did get a small discount since I ordered so much, so all is not lost. And I had the chance to visit with a few of my favorite farmers at the meeting as well as to meet some others and get involved in some intriguing discussions.

I have a feeling that 2009 will be a good year for farming -- I hope so, anyway. And I have a feeling that I'm going to learn a lot more than I ever thought possible for this next growing season.

And I'm sure there's more than a grain of truth in that hope.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home