Thursday, November 27, 2008

We're On a Roll to Nowhere

Ah, Thanksgiving, you're here at last!

And yes, I'm up with the lark, cranking out my contributions to today's feast with My Wonderful Parents.

I'm in charge of two dishes: the cornbread dressing and the pie. So I made the cornbread last night and will get it toasted and combined with the other ingredients in a little bit.

I had to start the morning, of course, with the pie, and not just because life is uncertain and you should have dessert first. No, I try to make the sweet or neutral-flavored dishes ahead of the savory stuff because I know that things like onion and garlic can infuse other foods pretty easily.

So after breakfast, I rolled out the pie crust and lined the plate, then made the filling. Of course, I had several crust scraps left over -- more than it would have been seemly to waste.

In the past, I might have just set those scraps on a tray, docked them with a fork, and baked them as is. But the Renaissance Man, expert as he is at using things up, taught me a new trick recently: pull all the scraps together into a ball, roll out the dough, and make tiny cinnamon rolls.


It's incredibly easy, and you don't even need to measure as the dough is usually small enough for you to eyeball the quantities. Just brush with melted butter (I used what was left in the pan from the butter I melted for the pie filling), sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and roll it up.

They only take about ten minutes in the oven -- maybe fifteen -- and while the pie finishes baking, you can enjoy a nice little treat. Easy as -- dare I say it? -- pie!

And that's worth rolling out of bed early for...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/02/2008 9:29 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

I do an even easier version: cinnamon crackers. I roll out the excess pastry, prick it, score it (the better for breaking later) and sprinkle it nicely with sugar and cinnamon. Bake, and enjoy it!

 
At 12/03/2008 6:52 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Now see, that would combine both our traditions, as your "crackers" are closer to what I used to do. Both are very good! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home