Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Roast Wonderful Time of the Year

One reason why I love fall so much is that the weather so often calls for comfort food, warm and starchy and satisfying. And what food better exemplifies comfort food than potatoes? (Well, for me at least...)

As much as I love potatoes, though, it's surprising that I somehow missed celebrating the fact that this year is the International Year of the Potato. I've saved up links on growing and eating potatoes, but since I haven't done much cooking with spuds of late, what was the point?

But with my selection of fresh vegetables dwindling rapidly, and with a busy evening ahead, I decided that tonight would be an excellent time to celebrate the joy of potatoes by trying a new recipe.

In the very last CSA sheet, the Lady Bountiful included her recipe for oven roasted Parmesan potatoes. It sounded like a no-fail wonderful recipe, so I pulled the ingredients together.

Naturally, I didn't follow the recipe to the letter. Since I was out of unbleached flour, I opted to use local corn flour instead. And since I had a small amount of cauliflower left, I thought I'd toss that in for a little variety.


I ended up with vegetables that were tender and savory with a crisp outer shell, and the cauliflower especially tasted like a deep-fried but lighter version of the dish. I tossed a little fresh chickweed (from the garden) with the vegetables fresh from the oven, and it wilted just enough for its tangy taste to blend in with the comforting mildness of the others.

I saved the rest for lunches later this week, but for a cool night, this hit the spot.

And roast of all, I have more potatoes stored away to make this again!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11/17/2008 6:23 PM, Blogger Tara said...

I thought this one sounded tasty and saved it as well. Glad to know it's a keeper!

 
At 11/18/2008 6:55 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Absolutely, Tara! And it seems pretty flexible, too. I may have to try a curry version of it sometime...

 
At 11/19/2008 11:28 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

oh, yummy, yum, yum. And I'm thinking you're spot on with the curry idea... with some green peas? If you froze any, of course.

 
At 11/19/2008 3:51 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Why, yes, I did, Kelly. Good thinking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home