Sunday, November 09, 2008

But I Congress...

You'd better sit down. I have shocking news to tell you.

I didn't cook or bake all weekend.

I know, I'm pretty astonished myself. But I've had a lot going on, and it still largely revolved around food.


On Friday afternoon, I headed up to Hiram College for the Northeast Ohio Food Congress, not really as a delegate for Wayne County but rather to report on the event for the Ethicurean. (I hope to have a report on the congress posted there soon.)

For Friday evening and all of Saturday, I drifted in and out of conference rooms, ballrooms, and dining rooms to hear people from my corner of the state talk about programs they have already implemented to promote "healthy, equitable, and sustainable" local foods in their areas as well as to hear others raise questions and concerns and seek out advice from their peers.


We heard from people who are already doing amazing things to serve their communities and from people with a burning desire to do the same. I met several passionate food advocates -- including my blogging "neighbor" Kelly of Her Able Hands! -- and found myself swept up in their enthusiasm and energy. (Not that that was that great a leap for me, as you might imagine...)

I came home exhausted but bubbling over with thoughts and dreams, so I couldn't quite bring myself to focus on mundane things like cooking. (Like I said, shocking, I know.) So I'm very thankful to the Renaissance Man for making sure I didn't go hungry in the meantime, especially for having me join him for a friend's birthday party featuring delicious local produce in French dishes. What a way to end a weekend!

But I digress... and I'm sure I'll be back in the kitchen soon.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11/10/2008 10:42 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

OH! What a way indeed! I sadly came home to a bag full of tacos from the local (NOT) taco hell. Ah well. Not everyone in the house knows what to do with a carrot.

It was so great to meet you and to get to hang out and eat and talk and plotz and plan...you're every bit as wonderful as I imagined..and then some!

Interesting things bubbling up all over the region and I'm eager to get to work. But not today. I'm still pooped.

 
At 11/10/2008 10:56 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yeah, I really lucked out! But tonight I will have to catch up in the kitchen as I have lingering produce looking more and more wilted -- and nothing lined up for lunches this week.

Anyway, Kelly, it was fabulous to meet you, too -- just to bask in the energy of the conference with someone who digs it as much as I do was a real thrill! Thanks!

In the meantime, get some rest. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home