Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? Week 19

October is getting off to a cool start around here, and though we had a gloriously sunny weekend, we're back to grey skies and drizzles. Yep, here's fall!

And while it seems like the warm weather is slipping away all too easily, I'm not sure what I'll miss more -- that, or the weekly trips out to our CSA farm for produce pickup. We're at week 19, with only one more week in the season and a big question mark over further produce, due to the steady drumbeat of incoming frosts.

But boy, you might not really know that based on today's selection!


The Lady Bountiful had laid out a gorgeous harvest feast for the eyes -- and stomach!

--one spaghetti squash (for my folks)
--two sweet onions (split)
--two eggplants (split)
--two green peppers (for my folks)
--one quart Fordhook lima beans (for My Dear Papa)
--one bunch celery (for my folks)
--one box poblano peppers (split)
--four bulbs garlic (split)
--one head cabbage (for my folks)
--three pounds Kennebec potatoes (split)
--one pint tomatillos (split)
--one quart tomatoes (split)
--one small box cherry tomatoes (for my folks)
--one bunch leeks (split)
--two small cucumbers (split)
--one small box of mixed summer squash (split)
--as much okra as we wanted! (split)

Yes, you'll notice that My Wonderful Parents took the bulk of the produce this week, but it seemed only fair: last week I took almost everything. Besides, My Dear Papa is feeling better and can eat a wider variety of foods again, and they just splurged on their Christmas present -- a small chest freezer -- so they can start loading that up with good produce or homemade meals.

And on top of all that, they took me home with them and (after a little bit of kitchen work) fed me homemade pizza topped with the Chef Mother's pesto, sauteed CSA eggplant and cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella slices, and fresh shredded basil. The perfect end to a CSA afternoon!

The Lady Bountiful handed out surveys today to get some feedback on their first CSA year, so I'll be sure to fill that in and return it soon. At this point, My Wonderful Parents and I are agreed that we would like to do this again next year if we can, as it's been such a wonderful experience for all of us. We've especially enjoyed getting to know the Lady Bountiful and the Gentleman Farmer better and to share in some of their joys, including their recent interview for an article (to appear next year, alas!). Our fellow CSA shareholder, Tara -- another wonderful part of our CSA experience -- took the photographs for the article and has a sweet and loving look at our farmers over on her web site that you must see!

I am really going to miss all of this when our share is done this year!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/09/2008 3:40 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Thanks Jennifer, for the shout out. I'm having serious sadness about going without CSA food until next spring. Our family is very much looking forward to repeating the experience. It has been a good thing in so many ways. It's been nice knowing exactly where our food comes from and who are money is going to, and getting to meet new people like you, too!

 
At 10/09/2008 3:45 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I agree with all of that, Tara, and would add that spending more time at the farm itself has really grounded our sense of health and good nutrition, too. I wish I had gotten out for one of the work days but am grateful my folks could do it for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home