Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Just To CSA You One More Time...

While it's true that our regular CSA season wrapped up last week, the Lady Bountiful held out a small glimmer of hope that she might have additional produce this week to put together a few extra shares. Once she had a good look at her harvest this morning, she dropped me an email to let me know what she had available.

I checked with My Wonderful Parents, who immediately said yes, let's go! And I wrote back to the Lady Bountiful, telling her we'd be there, check in hand for another week's share.

She had the produce all laid out beautifully in one of her bins, waiting for us, and had I had my camera with me, I'd have gotten a photo of her excellent handiwork. As it is, you'll have to settle for a glimpse of my portion of the share:


--five small sweet onions (3 for me, 2 for my folks)
--two eggplant (split)
--four sweet peppers (split)
--one pint Brussels sprouts (mine, all mine!)
--one pint poblano peppers (split)
--four bulbs garlic (split)
--three pounds Red Pontiac potatoes (mine)
--one quart red tomatoes (split)
--one quart green beans (for my folks)
--one head cabbage (for my folks)
--one quart pears (split)
--three small kohlrabi (split)
--one pint tomatillos (split)
--one bunch leeks (for my folks)

After that, I followed the Lady Bountiful out back of the house to see where they had cleared space for a new pole barn. This small barn will give them a large designated space for storing and cleaning their harvest each week (coolers and vehicle bays included), for sorting everything for CSA pickups, for people to visit while they pick up their CSA produce, and for the family to park their loaded vehicles overnight before heading to market. It sounds like they've thought through everything and will start soon!

Though the Lady and I both love to talk food, we couldn't stay out very long before the chill winds started whipping around us. So she headed back to the house while I climbed into my folks' vehicle and headed home.

Of course, now I have to figure out what to do with yet more tomatillos! But I'm delighted to have a little more good food as I gear up for cold-weather dining this week.

I'd better get cooking!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/25/2008 9:02 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Ah, I am totally jealous of you! ;-)
Since having to return to the grocery store I am suffering from CSA withdrawal symptoms of some sort. Tess and I nearly kissed the stranger who had a sign out in front of her house that said, "Free! U-Pick Organic Pears" Of course we stopped and picked enough to make pear sauce. Just when I thought my canning days were over...
(Email me if you want the locale)

 
At 10/26/2008 8:46 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

That's great, Tara! Hope you get a bunch of pear sauce made -- so tasty! I am DEFINITELY over canning this year, but thanks! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home