Thursday, October 09, 2008

Bake In the Groove

Can you believe we're already through almost a third of October? Only lately have I started to relax, to unfurl after weeks on end of food preservation, gardening, and constant activity. What a relief.


To celebrate this shift in the seasons, I felt it was time to bake again. And since I can now pick up gallon jugs of delicious, fresh, local apple cider at the Orchard, I knew it was time to pull out my ginger-molasses cookie recipe (with local sorghum molasses) and whip up a batch to share with friends and the students at work. (Yes, they loved the combination as much as I do!)


But it's also time for me to pick up pen (or keyboard) again. You've all been so gracious in expressing your appreciation for what I've been able to write this summer, but I've also felt like I haven't covered everything I wanted to tell you. I've also felt way behind on sharing things over at the Ethicurean.

Last week, though, I took a day off work and attended the Ohio Farmland Preservation Summit in Columbus, and my report on the day is now up over at the Ethicurean. I don't claim to have understood everything I heard, but I did learn a great deal and had my enthusiasm for farming and local foods reignited by some of the new projects going on across the state. I brought home plenty of handouts to read and absorb more deeply, and I even enjoyed the afternoon snack at the summit: some of my favorite local potato chips!

There's still plenty of food preservation to catch up on, and there's a good deal of baking I hope to do soon, so this brief respite won't last.

But it's good to be back in the groove...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home