Monday, September 01, 2008

Wilt You Look At This?

I know, I know... it's been a while since I posted photos of the Victory Garden, and though I recently showed off my first cantaloupe like any proud mama, er, gardener, you might be wondering what else is going on out there.

Let's just say, it ain't pretty.


See, we're in the end of summer die-back here, and we've not had much rain in the past few weeks. So there are plenty of open spaces where crops have finished (and mostly not been pulled, due to the lack of a compost bin) or where they've been struggling against weather or the Mystery Muncher.

And the tomatoes -- oh, goodness, those poor tomatoes.

The tomato plants ended up with a thick infestation of whiteflies, and though I've tried soapy water, white flour, and turning a blind eye, it's clear that they're still sucking away at the tomatoes' lifeblood, by the looks of those wilted plants. Mind you, we're still getting plenty of tomatoes from the crop, but they tend to be small, not generally over 2" in diameter.

The amaranth, in back of the tomatoes, has also started collapsing, though that's more likely due to being top-heavy from thick seed heads. The Southern Belle and I spent some time this afternoon harvesting seeds and blossoms in the hopes that I'll be able to use those seeds in cooking and possibly in growing another crop next year.


The melons continue to grow, even though many of the vines are dying back. I spotted half a dozen little watermelons (one of which I picked) and a few cantaloupes, like this shy pair. And the nasturtiums are obviously still soaking up plenty of sun as they have carpeted nearly the entire end of the garden.

At this point, the rest of my garden efforts are going into harvesting herbs to dry and waiting for seeds to dry (such as on my gai lan plants) so that I have more to plant next year. And though I keep hoping to get some last carrots and kale from the garden, they're not growing very much right now. (Hope they last to the cooler weather!)

For a first year back to gardening, really, it's been a pretty good year, and I can't complain. But this goes to show you how things can fall apart when you can't work in the garden regularly and keep planting succession crops. Ah well.

On the bright side, there's less and less to do in the garden!

The season will end soon, and I'll have learned some new things this year to help me plan next year's garden. Here's hoping that my fellow Victory Gardeners feel the same!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/02/2008 11:15 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

If you ask me, it's a pretty darned impressive effort. Hard to believe it's already die-back time! (We could use a good rain here, too...) I say, good job!

 
At 9/03/2008 6:48 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yeah, we've gotten a good bit to eat out of the garden, and I've learned a few things for next year. So, overall, not bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home