Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? Week 17

Now that fall has officially arrived, we're seeing small changes in our weekly CSA shares as well as at the farmers' market. And what a treat that is!

At the top of our produce list today, we found one butternut squash. They're beauties, and I'm finally ready to start thinking about squash again after an overload of it last winter.

The daily sheet accompanying our CSA shares also featured squash, with tidbits on how to bake it and how to store it (place newspaper in between squash that you're storing for a while so that the skins don't touch each other and darken).

So what else did we get?


--one butternut squash (for me; folks got their own)
--two sweet onions (split)
--one Black Beauty eggplant (for the folks)
--one orange sweet pepper (for the folks) and one purple (for me)
--two green peppers (split)
--a large half Crimson Sweet Watermelon (folks)
--one quart medium hot peppers (for me)
--one pint hot peppers (we actually turned this down -- too much heat!)
--two bulbs garlic (split)
--one quart pears (split)
--one bag Kennebec potatoes (split)
--one pint tomatillos (split)
--two pounds tomatoes (split)
--one bag mixed lettuces (split)
--one bunch cilantro (for me)
--one pint okra (we actually got a pint each since other folks had turned down their okra)
--one pint cherry tomatoes (for the folks)

The week's newsletter had also mentioned edamame, and when I asked the Lady Bountiful about it, her face furrowed. "Let me show you," she said, and she pointed to a bucket with
yellow-brown soybean shoots. The edamame were perfect for picking a couple days ago, but in that short time, they almost all yellowed.

The beans inside were still green, though, so I said I'd take some anyway, and I hopped into the electric golf cart with her to head out to the back field to pick some.

On our way back, the Lady Bountiful showed me other crops and their progress: the field tomatoes that are down to fallen and rotting fruit thanks to our oddball weather, the lima beans that are a couple weeks shy of harvest, and the new strawberry patch they just planted in preparation for next year.

We also stopped at the apple trees that were bowed down under the weight of their fruit. The Lady Bountiful offered me a mottled green apple -- with an apology for its appearance since they don't spray their apples -- and one bite told me she had no reason at all to apologize. I don't know what variety it was, but the apple had a crisp, almost snappy bite, a tart taste with a sweet finish, and just enough juice to entice me back for more.

We ended up grabbing a bucket and filling it with fruit so that she could get started on making some apple juice or cider, and she offered a few for us to take home in thanks. (No, thank you!)

My Wonderful (and Patient!) Parents looked tired and were ready to leave by the time I got back to the house, so we said our goodbyes and headed home, thinking about all the good food we'll make from this week's bounty.

And next week, we'll do it all over again!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/25/2008 3:54 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Hooray, squash! We're starting to see these coming in up here in the north, and I'm very excited for it. Any recommendations on what to do with "patty-pan" squash? Hope your edamame turns out to be all right. (Another favorite of mine.)

 
At 9/26/2008 7:02 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I thought you'd be pleased, Phoenix. ;-) I don't have much experience with patty pan squash, but given the time of year, you might try roasting it with garlic, onion, herbs, maybe other vegetables -- maybe a splash of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar?

I steamed the edamame last night and shelled them -- most were pretty green, thankfully, so I do have a small bag of them laid up in the freezer now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home