Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? Week 15

Though evening temperatures are dropping again, leaving us with a distinct autumnal feeling in the air, the fields in the area are still bursting with beautiful produce.

The Lady Bountiful's CSA newsletter, emailed to us on pickup mornings, tells us what to expect in our "totes" each week, and this morning's newsletter informed us all that not only would we have a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to pick up today, but the later plantings of vegetables (such as cucumbers, zucchini, and beans) are growing rapidly. So even though we're three quarters of the way through our original CSA term, we're nowhere near the end of the produce!


As you can see, the tables groaned under the weight of all the produce picked for 17 full shares and 2 half shares! And -- ahem -- did you notice the watermelon?


Our tomatoes, a smaller amount this week, were already weighed out for us, but we had plenty of other delights, including a variety of four colors of sweet peppers!


The full list for today's pickup included:

--one large head of cabbage
--two sweet onions
--one Black Beauty eggplant (big!)
--one each of the four different colored sweet peppers: red, orange, yellow, and purple
--one green zucchini
--one summer squash
--one bunch of broccoli
--half a Sugar Baby watermelon
--one Sweet Slice cucumber
--one bag of Red Pontiac potatoes
--one pint tomatillos
--two pounds tomatoes (including heirlooms)
--one pint cherry tomatoes (a variety of varieties)
--one bag of mixed lettuce (including my favorite Freckles)
--one small bag of young and tender arugula
--two bulbs garlic

This week, My Wonderful Parents decided to let me have the bulk of the produce as they're having to adapt temporarily to a special diet. But I made sure they took home the potatoes, something they can enjoy now, and the cherry tomatoes and one pepper for drying for later.

As for me, I headed home and promptly prepped two peppers and an onion for drying in the oven, and I'm sure I'll dry a little more of this produce. I also enjoyed some broccoli, arugula, and garlic in a pasta dish with walnuts and one of my Victory Garden tomatoes. Delicious!

What will next week hold? My goodness, I can't even contemplate that yet until I've made more of a dent in this week's produce.

But one thing's for sure: it'll be great!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home