Saturday, September 27, 2008

Market Report: 9/27/08

The skies are grey, threatening rain, but the temperatures are pleasant, making my Saturday morning trip down to the farmers' market a quiet pleasure.

Our annual "Oktoberfest" is going on this weekend, so the farmers relocated to a parking lot off the square. Several farmers weren't there (including the Lady Bountiful), and I can't blame them -- they really don't get as much traffic or business during this annual event.

But for those who were there, I spent some time talking with them and enjoying what they had to offer.


Having stopped at the grocery store on the way to the market (just to buy things I couldn't get at the market, like lemons, cheese, and vinegar), I decided I'd better not load up on produce this week. So I restrained myself and went home with:

--two small onions, a quart of green beans, and two small bulbs of garlic from the Cheerful Lady
--small zucchini, tiny Brussels sprouts, and broccoli from the Amish Farmer
--curly kale and a bag of spinach from the Madcap Farmer
--Caribe potatoes (purple skin, white flesh) and shallots from the Sheep Farmer
--a small pumpkin cheesecake, a slice of pumpkin roll, and a macaroon from a new baker

Some of the produce is, obviously, for keeping (onions, garlic, shallots, potatoes), and some I hope to cook with this week -- seeing the Brussels sprouts made me crave roasted sprouts, such a delicious warming dish. The spinach will get dried, and I'm not sure about some of the zucchini or broccoli, though I may preserve some of them, too.

But for the most part, I'm having to set all that produce aside to get to my list of other preservation projects this weekend because I really need to use up some of the CSA produce I've had for up to two weeks. (Eeek!)

It's going to be a busy weekend, and I'll share more later.

But what a way to start!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home