Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sauce What?

Lately I haven't been tackling the big preservation projects in the evenings as I've had other things I've wanted to do. But with a big weekend coming up, I decided to spend this evening making more pizza sauce.

With about 12 to 13 pounds of tomatoes (with my supply from the Lady Bountiful supplemented by my co-worker, She Who Brings Fresh Donuts -- or maybe that should be Fresh Tomatoes!) sitting on the counter and waiting for me when I came home, this was no easy task. It took probably an hour or so to get the tomatoes stemmed, skinned, blanched, and sauced, and then to assemble all the ingredients and to set the sauce to simmering.

But hey, what's a whole evening when you end up with this?


Yeah, that's eight -- count 'em, eight -- pints of homemade pizza sauce (plus a half pint you don't see out of shot), cooked and processed and sealed and cooling off.

That makes my month's total a whopping fourteen pints of pizza sauce, with enough sauce per pint to make two large pizzas. And since I often make one pizza a week during the cooler months, that should get me through over half a year.

Yeah. YEAH! I am just that good. (Can you tell I'm a little proud of myself?)

So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to relax tomorrow night and get ready for a birthday celebration weekend with family.

And then I'll decide if I want to make yet more sauce!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8/15/2008 10:41 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Aren't you the saucy one?

 
At 8/16/2008 2:45 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Why, yes. Yes, I am, Janet. :-)

 
At 8/16/2008 5:09 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

w00t! Nicely done!

 
At 8/16/2008 7:34 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Emily. I'm hungry already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home