Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? Week 12

Every week, it seems like the best weather accompanies us on the drive to pick up our CSA share. I don't know how it works out that way, but it's fitting.

Maybe that's because every week's basket includes a collection of sun-ripened, juicy, flavorful produce that seems to have soaked up the best of what the world has to offer.


Take the tomatoes, for instance. My tomatoes are currently struggling on the vine, tormented by white flies and tempered by a lack of warm nights to ripen them. But the Lady Bountiful's tomatoes, protected by the high tunnel, are large and abundantly ripe and gorgeous.

Her varieties this week included the usual array of Lemon Boy, Goliath, Better Boy, and a handful of heirlooms, and she also offered us pints of cherry tomatoes and tomatillos as well.

But that's not all!


This week's collection of produce included:

--one Superstar white sweet onion (mine)
--one quart green or yellow beans (yellow, for my folks)
--one Purple Beauty eggplant (mine)
--two green peppers (for my folks)
--two medium Multipik summer squash (split)
--two bulbs garlic (mine)
--one pint okra (for my folks)
--one quart medium and hot pepper medley, including poblano, Romanian, salsa, serrano, jalapeno, and cayenne peppers (split)
--four pounds of tomatoes (split)
--one pint red or yellow cherry tomatoes (for my folks)
--one pint tomatillos (mostly mine)
--three pounds Kennebec potatoes (split)
--one pound elderberries (for my folks -- My Dear Papa loves elderberry pie!)
--four leeks (mine, and I'd better do something quick!)
--one large cucumber (mine)

The recipes on this week's sheet included elderberry bread and tomatillo sauce, so now I'm torn between trying to make tomatillo salsa (to can) or that sauce. Maybe both!

And I think that will keep me busy this weekend!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/21/2008 7:18 PM, Anonymous Janet said...

Tough decisions, but what a joy to have them!

 
At 8/23/2008 9:23 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I did end up making tomatillo salsa (and regular.. more later), but held back a couple for a small amount of sauce. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home