Saturday, August 09, 2008

Market Report: 8/9/08

What a beautiful day to hike down to the farmers' market!

Sorry I don't have photos to share with you, as I sent the digital camera with the Renaissance Man on his research trip this weekend. And it's too bad, because not only was it a beautiful morning, but I picked up some beautiful produce and other items:

--half a dozen ears of sweet corn (to be dried later this evening), a pound of hull-less popcorn, and two two-pound bags of Ruby Red popcorn from the Corn Queen (Tina, are you paying attention?)
--a small bundle of fresh dill from a new herb gardener
--about five quarts of tomatoes from the Lady Bountiful
--a quart of French filet green beans and a packet of fresh rosemary from the Spelt Farmer
--two cucumbers, a bag of broccoli, a bag of small carrots in various colors, and two cookies from the Cheerful Lady
--three small zucchini from the Fiddlin' Farmer, and a handful of brightly colored zinnias and snapdragons from his son
--a pint of ground cherries from the local orchard
--a quart of maple syrup from the maple folks

Believe it or not, I am really hoping to use about half of the vegetables in cooking this week -- not preservation!

But I am spending time in the kitchen today to preserve some of that bounty. My Wonderful Parents have graciously allowed me to take over their kitchen in order to make three pints of bread and butter pickles and an as yet undetermined quantity of pizza sauce. Not only that, the Chef Mother whipped up a vegetable casserole for lunch! What a deal!

Once I get back home, I'm sure I'll have more projects in the works, and eventually I'll have photos again. For today, though, this is enough.

Hope your market adventures were equally fruitful! (And if you're still not visiting your local farmers' market regularly, here's more reading to convince you!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home